2020 Commissioned Art Projects
Artown to commission two regional art projects!
Artown wants YOU to be a partner in the July 2020 Festival and the 25th anniversary of Artown.
Artown is commissioning two original regional art projects to be developed, coordinated and executed during the July festival with funding up to $5,000 each. Some of the funds may need to be allocated for venue rental and logistics based on the selected location. Any additional funds needed for the project need to be raised by the recipient to produce the event.
Submissions must be received at the Artown office by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, November 18, 2019. Eligible artists/organizations must be from the Truckee Meadows region or the Lake Tahoe area including the following Nevada counties: Carson City, Douglas, Lyon, Storey, Churchill, Pershing, Washoe, Humboldt, Lander, Eureka, Elko and White Pine. Please keep in mind that this project is intended to support local artists, however guest artists with a regional connection may apply. A committee of professionals will review and select the performance that best fits the flow and ethos of the Festival. The selected recipient will be notified during the month of December.
- Any arts discipline: exhibit, installation or performance
- Must be a new program not shown to the public
- Although traditional performances are welcome, site specific performances are encouraged
- Targeting any demographic is acceptable yet family-friendly is preferred
- Encourage innovative art forms and unexplored venues
- Free admission
- Open to the public
- A minimum of one to two hour public performance/exhibit
- Project must take place in July 2020
- Artist needs to be available in May and June for any publicity
- Project needs to be the recipients only Artown project
- Submission does not need to be fully completed work but should accurately represent the look and feel of the final production
1. Artist/organization bio with contact information
2. Complete description of performance (500 word limit)
3. Video link and/or photographic samples demonstrating artistic quality (2 – 3 max)
4. An itemized project budget including expenses and revenue
SUBMISSIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 18TH AT 5PM
Send inquiries and submissions
Examples of Past Commissioned Art Projects
The Taeuber Troupe
This presentation is an ongoing, travelling, interactive performance that visually connects downtown Reno to the arts. While dressed in handmade costumes and animal masks, there will be a performance and interaction from a platform of a mobile stage. Built
upon a 64” long trailer, and towed by fellow artist on his bicycle, this miniature but elaborate stage provided a chance meeting with the Mountain Bluebird, the Highland Cow or the Pashmina Goat. This format allowed the performer to greet you and draw your portraits as an animal. This gave one-onone interaction but also stirred a curiosity of viewers while supporting the belief that childlike imagination is a skill that can be revived at any age. Every Monday At Family Night from 5pm – 7pm The Taeuber Troupe appeared in Wingfield Park and celebrated the arts during our family night series.
The second commissioned artist selected was Eve Allen of Destination Dance. On July 23rd this dance troupe took the audience on a walking dance tour lasting approximately one hour that included sitespecific dance works created and performed by local choreographers and dancers. Costumed tour guides led audience members on a walking tour around the Riverwalk area stopping at various locations to view site specific performances which occurred on a boulder, the porch of the VSA building and on the steps of the Pioneer Center plaza.